Kerala Style Ragi Puttu Recipe
Jan 05, 2021
- To begin making the Kerala Style Ragi Puttu Recipe, place the puttu flour/rice flour and ragi flour in a wide mixing bowl, the coconut and add salt into it.
- Add water a little at a time and rub into the flour, until you notice that when you try to make a fistfull of ball, it will hold together and when you press the ball it will it will crumble down.
- When you get this consistency, stop adding water, your ragi puttu mixture is ready for steaming.
- The longer the time you take to reach this, the better and softer will be the puttu. So essentially add water a little at a time so the warmth of the hand will allow the flour to absorb more water. Keep the ragi puttu mixture covered for at least 15 minutes.
- Boil water in a Puttu Maker. When the steam starts coming, take the puttu maker (puttu kutti) and spoon in the prepared ragi puttu mixture till you reach half way.
- Add a little coconut in the center to create a white layer and then fill the remaining puttu to the top. Don't press the mixture down into the puttu maker, it will become hard and not let the steam pass through and cook it through.
- Keep the filled puttu kutti on the top of the puttu maker and allow it to steam. Allow the Ragi Puttu to to steam until you notice steam coming through from the top. Once you notice steam coming through the top holes, continue to steam for 5 to 6 minutes. After which turn off the heat.
- To remove the Ragi Puttu, open the lid and press through one end and slide the puttu onto a serving plate. Continue to make remaining batches of the Ragi Puttu the similar way and serve hot.
- Serve the Ragi Puttu along with Kerala Kadala Curry for a healthy indian diabetic friendly meal or along with jaggery and bananas for a super delicious breakfast.