Foxtail Millet Khichdi Recipe
Dec 15, 2020
Soak millets and lentils for an hour. Drain and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil (for vegan) in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Now add sliced onions and fry till they are golden brown. Takes upto 5-6 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and cook for 2 minutes. Now all the millets, lentils and chopped vegetables and mix well.
Add about 3 cups water, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt. Add cilantro.
Cook for 2 whistles.
Open the cooker. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil on khichdi and fluff it up.
Your millet khichdi is ready to serve.
- Soaking millets is important as it helps in cooking it fast.
- Millets tend to dry out more during cooking hence adequate ghee/oil is needed.
- Add chillies as per taste.
- You can use any variety of millets in this dish.
- Use coconut oil for a vegan foxtail millet khichdi