Wholesome Delight: Vegan Cabbage and Chickpea Pie Recipe
Feb 08, 2024
This Vegan Cabbage and Chickpea Pie offers a delightful blend of simplicity and flavor, making it a perfect choice for those who seek a plant-based meal that doesn't compromise on taste or texture. Let's refine and add some depth to this recipe to elevate your cooking experience:
For the Filling:
- 500g Cabbage: Finely chop the cabbage to ensure it cooks evenly and blends well with the other ingredients.
- 100g Onions: Finely chop the onions to add a subtle sweetness and depth to the filling.
- 100g Carrots: Grate the carrots for a hint of natural sweetness and a splash of color.
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil: Use a high-quality oil for sautéing to enhance the flavor.
- 1 Teaspoon Salt: Adjust according to taste, but this amount should complement the natural flavors of the vegetables.
- Pepper: Freshly ground black pepper to taste adds a slight heat and complexity.
- 400g Cooked Chickpeas: These add protein and texture, making the pie filling hearty and satisfying.
For the Batter:
- 1 Cup (240ml) Plant-Based Milk: Almond, soy, or oat milk works well. Each brings a slightly different flavor and nutritional profile, so choose based on personal preference.
- 3 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed: This acts as a binding agent and adds omega-3 fatty acids, improving the nutritional value of the pie.
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt: To flavor the batter.
- 1/2 Cup (100g) Vegan Sour Cream: Adds creaminess and tang to the batter, enhancing its texture and flavor.
- 1 Cup (120g) All-Purpose Flour: The base of the batter, it gives the pie structure.
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder: Helps the pie rise and become fluffy.
Prepare the Filling:
- Sauté the Vegetables: Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onions, and cabbage, sautéing until they are soft and slightly caramelized, about 15-20 minutes, to bring out their natural sugars and flavors.
- Season: Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, then remove from heat to cool slightly. This step is crucial for layering flavors within the pie.
Prepare the Batter:
- Mix Milk and Flaxseed: Combine the plant-based milk with ground flaxseed and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This mixture thickens and creates a "flax egg," a vegan alternative to eggs.
- Whisk Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix the salt, vegan sour cream, flour, and baking powder. The vegan sour cream adds a richness and tanginess to the batter.
- Combine: Add the thickened milk-flax mixture to the dry ingredients, whisking until smooth. The batter should have a consistency that's easy to spread but not too runny.
Assemble and Bake:
- Layering: Start with a thin layer of batter in a parchment-lined baking tray, followed by a layer of chickpeas, the sautéed vegetable mix, another layer of chickpeas, and finally, the rest of the batter on top.
- Baking: Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C (428°F) for around 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the pie is set.
- Let the pie cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares. This dish can be served hot or cold, making it versatile for any meal.
- Ingram Customization: The beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility. Feel free to incorporate other vegetables or beans based on your preference or seasonal availability. Ingredients like spinach, kale, or sweet potatoes can add new flavors and textures.
- Spice It Up: Consider adding spices such as cumin, coriander, or smoked paprika to the filling for an extra flavor kick.
- Topping: A drizzle of tahini or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast before serving can add a nutty flavor and additional nutrients.
This Vegan Cabbage and Chickpea Pie is not just a testament to the versatility of plant-based cooking but also an opportunity to enjoy a meal that's both nutritious and satisfying.